Revenge of the BLOG

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Comic Reviews for February 16th

Astonishing X-Men #8
So, this was a good issue. Probably my favorite issue to date of this series. Now, this may sound surprising because general fanboy reaction to this issue is the most negative out of all the reactions to the series. Why is this my favorite issue so far? Absolutely no fanboy pandering. There are no fastball specials, there’s no Emma bashing, there’s no fan favorite characters returning from the dead, there’s no “here nerds, have exactly what you’ve been asking for!” Just all relatively new ideas and some very straightforward action. John Cassaday once again proves why he’s one of the best artists in the business, and Laura Martin proves that she is without a doubt the best colorist working in comics today. Whedon’s dialogue doesn’t draw as much attention to its self as it used to, which is a good thing. He’s really learned to shut up and let Cassaday draw. Great issue.

The Authority: Revolution #5
Normally, I dislike when another writer’s run is dismantled or ret conned, normally I’d prefer the new writer to move forward instead of resetting the clock. In this case, however, I find it to be really tastefully done. Brubaker basically dismantles Robbie Morrison’s run, including Coup D’etat. Instead of just ham-fistingly re-writing history, Brubaker simply concludes the ideas Morrison brought to the series. The team discovers that they simply aren’t cut out for running a country, as the nuclear blast in Washington DC proved. Also, the Midnighter quits the team, as he was told to by the future Apollo, which gives us a touching scene between him and Jenny Quantum. It appears that after all this, the Authority breaks up, making way for a truly shocking ending that really shouldn’t be spoiled. It was actually a surprise to me.

Daredevil #70
Well, this was a fine little comic. “The Golden Age” concludes, and all the fractured plots come to an end, which is a pretty cool storytelling devise. By the end of it, we get a new White Tiger, and life is basically back to the recent status quo for Daredevil. I don’t really have much to say about it other than I thought it was a satisfying end to the story.

Ex Machina #8
Such a great series. I’m honestly surprised that this fractured narrative storytelling devise can still be cool 8 issues in, but it really works for the series. The subway animal killings plot gets a little deeper, and we’re reminded that the “mature readers” label isn’t just for the language. Some surprisingly graphic violence happens, which almost seems over the top and out of place here, but I’ll go with it for now. Again, not much to add other than this is a deeply involving comic that is criminally underappreciated.

Green Lantern: Rebirth #4
Earlier I was praising this month’s Astonishing X-Men for not pandering to fanboys. This is the opposite end of the spectrum. This is fanboy pandering at it’s worst. The main selling point of this series for H.E.A.T. members is that it completely absolves Hal of any responsibility for Emerald Twilight. Turns out that Sinestro drove him insane, and Parallax, the yellow fear monster made him kill the corps. I hate this revisionist history bullshit, and I hate the beatification of Hal Jordan. They even erase his grey temples. The issue ends with a lame sequence where Hal “goes to the light” except at the last moment, Ganthet makes him go to a different light, and ends back up in his old body. I’m sure a thousand nerds just came in their pants, but this just make me throw up in my mouth a little bit. This isn’t the worst miniseries in recent memory, that dishonor goes to X-Force, but this is certainly the nerdiest.

Runaways #1
So, I missed the boat on the first series, and I’ve come to discover that this is a pretty well written, expertly illustrated series. And it’s got that going for it. What it has going against it is the pretty blah characters. I find myself more attracted to the superhero support group than the Runaways themselves. This could be because this is my first exposure to the kids, but in truth I’m just as unfamiliar with Excelsior as I am with the Runaways. Either way, the book is good enough for me get to know them better with future issues. Thumbs up.

Wolverine #25
Enemy of the State ends in an anti-climax as Wolverine kills Northstar. This wasn’t the huge death that Mark Millar led us to believe it would be in interviews, but probably is the biggest death the x-office would allow. Ultimately, it’s meaningless because as you can see with the cover to #28, the Hand will revive Northstar anyways. All in all, a decent issue, with some great art by JRJR, but I’m just so over the regular Marvel Universe X-Men that I can’t wait for him to break away from them.

1 Comments:

  • In regards to Green Lantern, I don't see how you can do a story in that continuity without offending one fanboy segment. The Hal fans or the Kyle fans. That being said, I think its a great mini and worth checking out.

    By Blogger Hisham Zubi, at 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home